Re: F100s

Date:         07 Aug 99 01:22:51
From:         spagiola@my-deja.com

Joe Pelliccia <jpellicc@abacus.bates.edu> wrote:
> Got a ride on a US AIRWAYS Fokker 100 this weekend going from
> Chattanooga to Charlotte and it got me to thinking about the
> 'recent' battles between Boeing (717) and Airbus (A318) for the
> 100 seat market.  If this is such a hot market that both airframe
> manufacturers feel they have to participate, how come Fokker's
> F100 didn't sell well when it was the only product in this niche?
> Am I missing something important here?

Who said the Fokker 100 didn't sell well? It, and its Fokker 70 little
brother, were selling quite well indeed. Just look at the AA and US
fleets alone. What killed Fokker was high production costs, not lack of
sales. If you lose money on every sale, selling a lot isn't so great...

And by the way, the Fokker 70/100 were NOT the only products in that
niche. BAe was also there selling BAe 146s and Avro RJs -- which it is
still doing, having brought its costs under control much more
effectively than Fokker.

Stefano Pagiola
--
All opinions are my own.