Re: What's up above the cabin ceiling ?

Date:         17 Jan 99 02:37:52
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1998.1909@ohare.Chicago.COM>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca> writes
>Obviously, this is a movie, but it made me wonder: what is really above the
>cabin ceiling ?

>Is most of the systems/wiring contained in the overhead systems or is there a
>lot of stuff above the actual ceiling ?
>I woudl assume that there would be water tanks, hot water heaters and air
>ducts in that space, correct ? What else is present ?

Well its air distribution ducts, cabin entertainment electronics, galley
power feeders and now some satcom electronics.
Water tanks are below the floor as they are so heavy, heater are in the
galleys and toilets .

>On the 747-400s there are crew quarters on a second deck in the back. Could
>such amenities run the whole length of the main cabin or are there too many
>devices in that space to prevent greater use for that space ?

The crew rest area is being enlarged and is on offer as a mod from
Boeing but it don't think it could be taken much further forwards. Space
in the forward freight is more likely to be used for a First Class
sleeper zone.

--
john r.