Re: Singapore Airlines The A340 vs 777 saga continues

Date:         07 Aug 99 01:22:35
From:         JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca>

spagiola@my-deja.com wrote:
> You're right as far as seat comfort and legroom goes, but headroom and
> cabin width ARE pretty much set by the aircraft design, and there's
> little airlines can do about that. Well, they could get more headroom
> by cutting back on overhead storage bins, but that would also be
> unpopular.

On the other hand, one can contend that bin design is perhaps more
important than fuselage width.

On older planes, the centre bins seem to "hang" from the ceiling, while
in the 777, they are integrated into the ceiling thus providing better
head room and spacious feeling. I suspect that many similar tricks can
be played with the side bins where the design can make a bigger
difference than fuselage height.

As well, some airlines are publicising the fact that they are replacing
overhead bins in their aircraft to add capacity. That would seem to
indicate that airlines do have a certain amount of flexibility to affect
the interior design.