Re: Singapore Airlines The A340 vs 777 saga continues

Date:         07 Aug 99 01:22:30
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

Niels@nospam.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath) writes:
> Meanwhile,  objective reports say that AA, UAL, BA, and CX
> have all expressed much displeasure at the GE exclusivity deal
> on the 777X.

Then perhaps AA, UAL, BA, and CX are ready to commit to firm orders
for the 777X powered by a hypothetical engine from a different
manufacturer?

As I understand it, all manufacturers are leery of building a bigger
engine for this plane. None believes that the market is big enough for
three competitors. Boeing coaxed GE into making the plunge by offering
exclusivity, which might make it pay. The choice isn't between three
engines or one: it's between one engine or no airplane.

--
-Stephen H. Westin