Re: Boeing naming convention for 777

Date:         07 Aug 99 01:22:23
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Point taken. But my understanding is that the heaviest available
>current "ER" versions are quite a bit heavier than the earliest ones.

Boeing's web page lists the MGTOW range for the 777-200(ER) as being
from 580,000 lbs up to 656,000 lbs.  UA has some of the first ones built
and theirs are all good for 632,500 lbs -- not the heaviest, but a lot
closer to the top of the scale than to the bottom.

>Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that
>bringing earlier builds up to the best currently-available standard
>would certainly involve more than just a paper upgrade.

So far as I know, it really is just a paper upgrade as far as the
airframe is concerned.  You might need to upgrade engine thrust, but
the AW&ST Source Book has identical physical dimensions and weights
for the range of 777 engines from any given engine manufacturer so
I'd guess that even that is little more than a paper upgrade -- you'd
need to change the programming of the FADECs or something similar.

  - Andrew A. Rooney