Re: 4-point Landing Gear Aircraft

Date:         22 Jul 99 23:30:37
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Think you'll find that the choice is not there - I can assure you that
>the A340 CLG (centre line gear) is fitted to each and every A340, and
>extends and retracts with the mains - every time.  The DC-10 pilot has
>no choice either - some variants have it, some don't - if they do, the
>crew are stuck with it.

Not true for the DC-10 and MD-11.  The DC-10-10 and -15 lack the center
post while the -30 and -40 have it, as do all models of the MD-11.  Use
of the center post, on aircraft so equipped, is optional, however.  This
has come up in the newsgroup a few times in the past -- you might wish
to peruse the archives (http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html).

Beyond that, JAL had some DC-10-40(D) aircraft which were converted from
normal -40 models by removing the center main gear, amongst other things,
and may also have some which were built that way.  The attachments and
other parts were still there so they could be converted back to standard
-40 configs including the full complement of landing gear.

  - Andrew A. Rooney