Re: Singapore Airlines The A340 vs 777 saga continues

Date:         22 Jul 99 23:30:22
From:         spagiola@my-deja.com

"Pardave Lehry" <plehry@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > SQ customers are apparently not all that happy with the A340 cabin.
> > They want more headroom, and more space (cabin width).
> >
> The blame of headroom and more space in the cabin should not be
> placed on Airbus.  When an airline orders an aircraft from Airbus or
> for that matter, Boeing, they specify what the interior should be
> like.  Each airliner that comes of the assembly line from Seattle and
> Toulouse are different because each airline specifies a different
> configuration.  The companies offer different configurations and if
> the correct configuration isn't offered, I'm sure the companies would
> do whatever it takes to offer the correct configuration.

You're right as far as seat comfort and legroom goes, but headroom and
cabin width ARE pretty much set by the aircraft design, and there's
little airlines can do about that. Well, they could get more headroom
by cutting back on overhead storage bins, but that would also be
unpopular.

It's interesting that Boeing seems to have lucked out on cabin width in
this instance, while being at a definite disadvantage in the
narrowbodies with their narrower cabin compared to the Airbus
narrowbodies.

Stefano Pagiola
--
All opinions are my own.