Re: Convair CV990 "Coronado"

Date:         22 Jul 99 23:30:12
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

Anthony Rassias wrote:
> Recently I read that, until the advent of the Concorde, the Convair CV990
> was the fastest civil aeroplane. I am now curious and looking for any
> information on the type - performance and specifications, production
> numbers, dates etc.

The "Great Airliners, Volume I; Convair 880 & 990" by John Proctor is a
pretty definitive source.

> Were the strange fairings on the upper surface of the
> wings used to break up shock waves created by flying at high subsonic
> speeds - or did they serve some other purpose?

	The "Kuchemann Carrots" were there to improve the area distribution and
reduce wave drag.  Unfortunately, their wetted area produced sufficient
drag to counteract the wave drag decrease.  Some 990s also have
extensive fairings on the pylons and nacelles, developed by John Kutney
of GE.  These too reduced wave drag by improving the local area
distribution.