Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         10 Jul 99 02:33:43
From:         Steve Lacker <no@spam.thanks>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Pete Finlay wrote:
> The main nuclear deterrent from the 1950s to the 1966 was the Avro
> Vulcan, which was a missile platform.

Did the Vulcans actually go out of service THAT long ago? The Vulcan and
the B-58 are two of my favorite designs. They both had a very short
service life.

> Interestingly enough, the Vulcan used RR Olympus 201 (later 301)
> engines,

Isn't it more correct to say that the Vulcan used BRISTOL Olympus
engines, since it was built prior to the RR/Bristol merger? ;-)  The
more I learn about the history of Bristol and RR turbine engine
development, the clearer it becomes that RR gained a lot of expertiese
through that merger... and then ignored it until very late in the
development of the RB.211 when a retired Bristol engineer was called
back to consult on the project and undertook a major re-design.

-- Stephen G. Lacker
slacker at arlut dot utexas dot  edu
sglacker at texas dot net