Re: Squat interlock

Date:         10 Jul 99 02:33:39
From:         jthorn@davinci.thp.univie.ac.at (Jonathan Thornburg)

James Matthew Weber  <jmweber@goodnet.com> wrote:
> I think you can get the spoiler to come to the 'in flight' detent with
> out the sqat switches,  but that isn't automatic. On Boeing Aircraft at
> least, it is possible to deploy reverse thrust, brakes, and
> spoiler/speed brakes at any time (although it may not be easy to do so,
> it can be done).
>
> However at least on an A320 this is not the case, and this lead to the
> loss of a Lufthansa A320 at Warsaw a few year ago in what should have
> been a non-event.

I'm not wild about some of Airbus's GUIs, but blaming their computer
systems for this sort of accident (with the implication that
less-computerized designs are free from similar problems) is just
plain wrong:

As David Davidson <tristar500@earthlink.net> noted (12 Oct 1998) in
article <airliners.1998.1620@ohare.Chicago.COM>),

--