Re: Engine start sequence

Date:         10 Jul 99 02:33:23
From:         tpearson@chunkstyle.com (Tim Pearson)

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca> asks:
> If engine #2 is almost always the first one to be started
> in commercial operations , how come it was called "#2" and
> not "#1" ?

Because the starting sequence isn't the criterion by which
engines are numbered.  The custom comes from the fact that
in Western cultures, we read from left to right -- a concept
which extends to a general perception that "left comes before
right."  Maybe El Al and the IDF do things differently.  :^)

Oddly enough, it's just the opposite on ships; everything is
numbered backward, with engine or smallboat #1 being to star-
board.  The reason for this isn't clear to me, but I suspect
that it has to do with the fact that on a ship, one is able
to physically turn around and look aft, while a pilot doesn't
have that luxury...and so a forward-oriented frame of reference
is used aboard aircraft by default.

	-Tim

--
"Every man should own a Browning. The details that follow that
 First Commandment are a matter for doctrinal squabbling and