Re: Boeing naming convention for 777

Date:         10 Jul 99 02:33:12
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>It is pretty hard to know what a 777-200 and 777-300 are. I thik there
>was the basic model, the IGW model, the ER model, and now an "X" model
>to come. Any more I forgot ?

There are only two current flavors of each size, since the ER is just a
newer named for what used to be called the IGW.  The X variants are, for
now, just a placeholder until there's a need for an official name, just
as the 777 itself was once known as the 767-X.

>Seems strange that this strange naming convention applies only to the
>777.

It doesn't.  The 767-200 and -300 come in both regular and ER versions,
and as noted above there have been X variants of the 767 in the past.
The 747-300 was originally just another variant of the 747-200B, called
the 747-200B(EUD) until they decided it deserved to be a new series.

  - Andrew A. Rooney