Re: cooncorde expansion

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:33:09
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc!!!@cmdnet.lu>

Paul Schuricht wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how much Concorde lenghtens by in flight due
> to the aerodynamic heating from travelling at Mach 2.2.

Its Mach 2.0 (originally 2.02) for the airline use to be more precise.
Here the reply from a former Concorde captain :

The expansion of Concorde as it heats up is a matter of inches ... the
gap between the flight engineers table and the adjacent bulkhead is
there in the cruise, and not there when on the ground. Interestingly the
thermal characteristics are sufficient to measurably affect the
longitudinal stability of the aircraft.

--
Marc Schaeffer ---- Luxembourg ---- mailto:marcmsc@cmdnet.lu
The   DE HAVILLAND COMET website:       http://surf.to/comet