Re: External inspection

Date:         17 Jan 99 02:37:40
From:         Anthony.Schlemmer@gte.net

James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com> wrote:
>>At the risk of sounding the fool, and admitting not to be an expert,
>>wouldn't the prudent pilot abort the takeoff roll if airspeed
>>indications were severly off the mark (i.e. at the cross-check)? I
>>can't believe that any handling pilot would just eyeball the decision
>>and rotation speeds.

> You would certainly think so, but it seems the pressures of trying to
> maintain schedule often seem to push this kind of rationality into the
> back of the aircraft, often with very unpleaseant results.

> When Air Florida flight 90 went down in Washington DC, the FO knew
> something wasn't right, but the PIC took off anyway.  Didn't stay
> airborne for long.

I've read a transcript of the this crash and it's unbelivable that
the flight crew when doing their check list didn't even bother
to enable engine anti-ice.

Back on Xmas eve morning I was on a United flight from SEA to SFO in a
737 and it was one of those somewhat rare winter days when it was
snowing at Sea-Tac. It had been quite sometime since I've been on a
flight where we had to take-off in snow. It took some 20 minutes to
de-ice the plane and then we taxied out to the runway. Before we
took-off the FO ran back and did a visual inspection of the wings
through the windows in the main cabin.

Once we entered the runway, they locked the wheels and reved up the
engines. I can understand why they rev up the engines so the crew is
sure we have proper power for take-off. What a rush once the brakes
are released!  One thing the captain mentioned was that they were
going to recycle the landing gear after take-off. I was wondering why
this is done when taking off in snowy condition?

Tony

--
Anthony.Schlemmer@gte.net