Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:32:56
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 01:39 AM 6/18/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On 05 Jun 99 02:09:32 , James Matthew Weber,jmweber@goodnet.com says...
>>Two points. The achievement with the F22 (and some F14 have the ability
>>as well) is to be both supersonic with afterburners off, and remain a
>>highly maneuverable weapons platform...
>>James Matthew Weber
>
>I think James has in mind the idea of dogfighting at supersonic speeds.
>At those speeds, I suspect that lock on, launch and run is more
>practical....

Not likely. What supercruise does for you is to get to the point of
engagement and back faster without running out of fuel. Most fighters
with just internal fuel storage cannot fly supersonic very long, so
ingress/egress are sub sonic. That makes you a target for a longer
period of time, and give the opposition more time to send up the
'reception committee'. Afterburners do horrible things to SFC.

I doubt any pilot who plans on surviving would go into a dogfight with
the burners off. Dogfighting converts aircraft kinetic energy into high
G maneuvers, so to survive you want maximum possible available energy at
all times. Otherwise you run out of kinetic energy, which limits both
speed and maneuverabilty and turns you into the proverbial sitting duck.

James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (480) 638 1316