Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:32:55
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 01:39 AM 6/18/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Message text written by INTERNET:airliners@chicago.com
>>Where did you get this from? AFAIK, Concorde doesn't really have a
>>problem making it LHR-JFK or JFK-LHR. In the winter, Concorde flies
>>direct from LHR - BGI, which is about a 4 hour flight. If it can do
>>that, then the 3 to 3½ hours to/from JFK should be no problem.

Depends upon how much of the trip is supersonic. The direct routine to
BGI would take them over/near heavily populated areas along the coast of
France, and very close to Spainish/Portughese resort areas. My guess is
they stay subsonic until well clear of the heavily populated European
areas, which would mean flying subsonic for about 700 miles. That would
also account for the time difference in travel time. Based upon the 4
hour flight, and distance to BGI only being 4000 miles. The run from LHR
to Dulles used to be about 3hours 20 minutes, and is 3600 miles. The
trip to BGI is 400 miles further, and take 40 minutes more, which means
somehow that 400 miles is covered at about 600mph.

>>I can't recall hearing of a B.A. Concorde recently putting in to BOS on
>>the way to JFK

It usually won't, instead BA will limit passenger carriage. In the last
several years load factors have not been very good, so this has probably
been invisible when it does happen.,

>I do recall vaguely a kerfuflle about 18 months ago over a Concorde
>declaring a Pan over London because it was short on fuel, as well as
>rumours that ATC always gives Concorde a straight-in approach to LHR
>because fuel is tight. Am I also right in recalling that Concorde is
>exempted from rules regarding its ability to make an alternate airport
>to Heathrow? Anyone out there with the facts?

Under the best of circumstances Concorde does not have a lot of fuel on
the way in, and it does indeed get special handling from ATC on the way
end. I think the standing joke is 30 minutes after arrival in the London
area, you will be on the ground. The only question is will it be a
landing or a crash due to fuel exhaustion...

The longest delay I have even seen was a single trip around the holding
pattern, and that happened only once. My recollection is fuel reserve is
typically on the order of 30 minutes upon arrival, and that is all. I am
compelled to point out that there are in fact several airports in the
greater London Area that are literally only a few minutes flying time
where Concorde could land.  Heathrow, Gatwick, and Luton (A Concorde
Prototype used to live at Luton and may still), and perhaps Stanstead as
well.

James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (480) 638 1316