Re: Squat interlock

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:32:51
From:         "R W Walker" <bwalkerdiespamdie@odyssey.on.ca>

JbTex <jbtex@aol.comkeinspam> wrote in article <airliners.1999.692@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I once heard pilots talking about a "squat switch" in the main
> landing gear of airliners.  They mentioned that it prevented
> the deployment of the thrust-reversers until the landing aircraft's
> weight settled onto the landing gear.  If this is true, are the
> armed spoilers also kept retracted by this switch, or must they
> deploy prior to the full "squat"?  Also, are there other systems
> controlled by squat/not-squat status?

See alt.diasters.aviation for a good discussion of squat switches, wheel
speed detectors (or spinup sensors), and their effect on spoilers, flaps,
throttles, etc. The designers have tried about every combination you could
think of.

Of course, the most important system interlock controlled by squat
switches, on just about every aircraft that has them, is landing gear
retraction.

BW