Re: Squat interlock

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:32:50
From:         "John Weiss" <jrweiss@seanet*NOSPAM*.com>

JbTex <jbtex@aol.comkeinspam> wrote in message <airliners.1999.692@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
> I once heard pilots talking about a "squat switch" in the main
> landing gear of airliners.  They mentioned that it prevented
> the deployment of the thrust-reversers until the landing aircraft's
> weight settled onto the landing gear.  If this is true, are the
> armed spoilers also kept retracted by this switch, or must they
> deploy prior to the full "squat"?  Also, are there other systems
> controlled by squat/not-squat status?

There are or can be "squat switches" in the main and nose gear.  The 747-400
has both.  They control or limit activation of nosegear and body gear
steering, taxi lights, IFF, engine reversers, landing spoilers,
flight/ground idle, gear retraction, and many other functions.  In military
fighter aircraft, ordnance arming is also inhibited on the ground via those
switches.

--
John R. Weiss
Seattle, WA