Re: Squat interlock

Date:         25 Jun 99 01:32:47
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 01:40 AM 6/18/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I once heard pilots talking about a "squat switch" in the main
>landing gear of airliners.  They mentioned that it prevented
>the deployment of the thrust-reversers until the landing aircraft's
>weight settled onto the landing gear.  If this is true, are the
>armed spoilers also kept retracted by this switch, or must they
>deploy prior to the full "squat"?  Also, are there other systems
>controlled by squat/not-squat status?

I think you can get the spoiler to come to the 'in flight' detent with
out the sqat switches,  but that isn't automatic. On Boeing Aircraft at
least, it is possible to deploy reverse thrust, brakes, and
spoiler/speed brakes at any time (although it may not be easy to do so,
it can be done).

However at least on an A320 this is not the case, and this lead to the
loss of a Lufthansa A320 at Warsaw a few year ago in what should have
been a non-event.

James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (480) 638 1316