Re: External inspection

Date:         17 Jan 99 02:37:37
From:         John van Veen <jvanVeen@worldnet.att.net>

JF Mezei wrote:
> Karl Swartz wrote:
> > nuts.  It's also increasingly the case that flight crews are trained
> > in managing the automation, sacrificing basic systems knowledge, so
> > they aren't equipped to deal with what happens when those systems
> > fail you.

Hmmm, perhaps the flight engineer should be
brought back as a Flight Systems Engineer.

> If that is the case, isn't flying "manual" somewhat like riding a bike,
> something you don't really forget ? So, when your instruments fail you
> on one of them fancy planes, shouldn't the pilots still be able to fly
> by the seat of their pants which is what they did when they started off
> on those small planes ?

You cannot fly by the seat of your pants if
you do not have external reference for the
eye balls.  At least that is the way it is
explained to me.

> Also just curious, if the airspeed indicator is inop, shouldn't the
> pilot still be able to get some idea of his speed through the INS/GPS
> systems which would provide ground speed ?

You would think that knowing the throttle
setting and having some basic idea of the
condition of the aircraft would give you a
ball park figure for the air speed.  But
having never been in the situtation that led
to this thread, and hoping I never will be, I
just don't know.

John