Re: Oxygen - Concorde

Date:         18 Jun 99 01:39:49
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

mmallory@netcom.com (Mark Mallory) writes:
> The cabin windows on Concorde are each about the size of a large
> postcard (4" by 6" or so).  I suspected the reason was to limit the
> pressure loss during a high-altitude decompression.
>
> However, it's doubtful that the loss of a WINDSHIELD would result in an
> equally survivable condition.  Presumably, they've gone to great lengths
> to ensure this can virtually never happen (or is at least much less likely
> to happen than the loss of one of the roughly *one hundred* cabin windows).

Well, the first protection that comes to mind is that there are two
windshields at cruise: the droop snout has an outer windshield to
smooth high-speed aerodynamics. This presumably protects the real
windshield, which is only exposed when the nose is dropped for takeoff
and landing, and is presumably what holds the air in. The chances of a
foreign object penetrating both is probably vanishingly small.

--
-Stephen H. Westin