Re: Oxygen-bottle

Date:         18 Jun 99 01:39:42
From:         "Scott E. Farleigh" <sef@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>

Andrew van der Plas wrote:
> Is there pure oyygen in an oxygen-bottle or is it just compressed air.
>
> Why then call they this an oxygen-bottle and not a air-bottle.

I was a U.S. Navy Parachute Rigger back in the mid to late 70's.  If
the bottle was Green and said "Oxygen" then it was fill with pure
oxygen.  The were no "air" bottles used in Naval Aviation.  Only
oxygen was used for breathing (depending upon the oxygen
regulator it may have been diluted in the regulator), aircraft tires
were filled with nitrogen and floatation equipment used carbon
dioxide.

Scott E. Farleigh (formerly PR-2)
Parachute Riggers bury thier mistakes