Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         18 Jun 99 01:39:30
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1999.596@ohare.Chicago.COM>, spagiola@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn) wrote:
>> As for the Concorde, remember, it's a pretty light plane, only carries
>> 100 pax, carries lots of fuel in its delta wings, and has four engines
>> to move it.  The F-22, of course, only has two engines.  Despite this,
>> the Concorde can barely make it across the Atlantic, and sometimes has
>> to stop in Boston on the westbound leg to refuel if headwinds or even
>> minor delays occur.
>
>True enough as far as it goes, but it does sound like you're
>underestimating the achievement. Concorde might have twice the number
>of engines that the F-22 has, but its engines-to-pax ratio is a whole
>lot better. And those passengers will be sitting in shirt-sleeve
>comfort eating fancy foods, not strapped into a G-suit breathing O2
>through a mask and peeing through a tube. Besides, what's the F-22's
>range in supersonic cruise? Could it cross the Atlantic at M=2 (without
>refuelling)?

True enough.  :-)

However, the F-22 cockpit is pressurized, and given a suitable
accessions to mission readiness, I imagine that a F-22 pilot could eat
in shirt sleeves without the oxygen mask  (although they won't ever fit
a proper lav system on board).  Unfortunately, I believe the F-22 pilots
have a different mission in mind, thus necessitating the lack of a
smoked salmon appetizer, etc.  (I have no idea what the F-22's
unrefueled range in super-cruise is.  However, I note that the L-M
website still claims that the F-22 is "the first aircraft" to possess
supercruise capability.)

BTW, engines-to-pax ratio is an interesting figure-of-merit...  :-)

ed

----
Ed Hahn / ehahn@mitre.org / +1 703 883-5988
The above statement is solely an opinion of the author, and
does not express a position or implied warranty by the MITRE
Corporation.  Really.