Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         05 Jun 99 02:09:31
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 12:58 AM 6/4/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>Of course, now that SR-71s are no longer flying, there's no-one for
>>Concordes to run into at their altitudes.
>
>The U-2 and its derivatives also routinely fly at those altitudes and
>above.

Actually U2/TR1's and Concorde's are not likely to run into each other.
A recent article in Avweek pegged typical U2 cruise at 65,000+ feet,
Concorde rarely reaches 60,000, and IF it gets there, it is literally
only for a few minutes at the very end of cruise. I doubt you would ever
find a Concorde up where SR71's used to live either.  However 55,000
feet is not beyond the ability of many current fighter aircraft, and my
recollection is some LearJet's could cruise at 51,000 feet.

As a side note, U2/TR1 fuel consumption with the GE engines at 65,000 is
actually LOWER than at ground idle, so they have good reason to want to
be up there.

James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (480) 638 1316