Re: Flaps & spool up

Date:         05 Jun 99 02:09:26
From:         Olivier Plaut <Olivier.Plaut@medecine.unige.ch>

> Concerning a jet airliner in final approach,
> is there such a thing as an automatic partial
> spool-up when flaps are deployed (I mean, if
> you deploy the flaps beyond some degree there's
> something like an autothrottle that spools up
> the engines to a given minimum rpm)?

No. On approach, your autothrottle is generally set to maintain a given
speed  and it doesn't depend on the position of the flaps. If your
autopilot is set on approach or rate of descent, when you extend flaps,
you'll see the autopilot "playing" with the trim and throttle to adjust
both parameters.

Olivier