Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         04 Jun 99 00:59:09
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>: Another interesting flight aspect was the airplane's constant gain of
>: altitude during the whole flight, due to the fuel consumption and better
>: efficiency at higher altitudes. This is unique because "normal"
>: airliners are required to maintain a constant flight level.
>
>Subsonic transcontinental aircarft prefer to use higher altitude as the
>weight diminishes if ATC will permit it.

True, but they do it in steps.  My first intercontinental flight was
LAX-LHR on a 747.  We started at FL 350, then several hours into the
flight requested and were cleared for a climb to FL 390.  In contrast,
Concorde more or less continuously climbs (at a very slow rate) from
its initial cruise altitude to its final altitude.

  - Andrew A. Rooney