Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         04 Jun 99 00:59:04
From:         Steve Lacker <no@spam.thanks>

Mark Mallory wrote:

> Your friend is correct.  Concorde *is* equipped with Afterburners, but
> they're used only for brief periods (takeoff and transonic acceleration).
>
> The use of Afterburners roughly DOUBLES the specific fuel consumption.
> Concorde wouldn't have the range to cross the Atlantic if their use were
> required for cruise.

Well, in the case of the Concorde this is true. However, if you REALLY
want to go fast (like the SR-71) then afterburners become increasingly
efficient. I forget the exact numbers, but during a typical SR71 mission
profile (in the area of Mach 3) the turbine section of the engine is
only producing about 20% of the effective thrust. The variable-geometry
inlet and the afterburner section produce the greatest portion of the
thrust.

-- Stephen G. Lacker
slacker at arlut dot utexas dot  edu
sglacker at texas dot net