Re: the use of titanium in commercial planes

Date:         04 Jan 99 22:20:40
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I doubt there is a lot of titanium in most civilian
>aircraft outside the engines.

Perhaps, though the 777 is an exceptional aircraft in many ways.  I was
surprised to find out how much titanium it uses -- and composites.  The
landing gear (mains, can't remember about the nose gear) have a lot of
it in major structural areas.  Parts of the flattened tailcone are also
titanium, specifically the piece with the hole for the APU exhaust.  The
seat rails are titanium in the flex zones, providing greater strength
where heavier monoliths (galleys, lavs) might be located while keeping
the standard mounting for seats.  I think parts of the engine pylons are
also titanium.

The 777 uses significantly more titanium in the airframe than the 767,
at least the 767-200/300, which in turn probably uses more than the 757
and 737.  I don't know about the 747, or non-Boeing airliners, though
I'd agree that the SR-71 (and other Blackbirds) probably win the "most
titanium" sweepstakes.

  - Andrew A. Rooney