Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         04 Jun 99 00:59:03
From:         Steve Lacker <no@spam.thanks>

James Matthew Weber wrote:

> > I thought the F-22 was considered
> >to be a great technological achievement because of its ability to fly beyond
> >Mach 1 at military power (no afterburner).  It's hard to believe that a
> >plane designed 20+ years prior to the F-22 already had that capability.
>
> Actually some versions of the F14 with GE engines can do it as well, and
> the Concorde design is a lot older than 20 years.

Minor nitpick: I'm pretty sure you mean the F-15, not the F14.  As for
the F-15, yes the most recent version with GE powerplants can indeed
supercruise. I'm not sure about the B-1 Lancer either- I don't *think*
it can actually supercruise, but one of the B-1 tactics to evade
pursuing fighters is to stay supersonic (at treetop altitudes, BTW)
until the fighters run out of fuel trying to keep up.  That capabiltiy
is probably simply because it has a lot more fuel reserve than a fighter
:-)

-- Stephen G. Lacker
slacker at arlut dot utexas dot  edu
sglacker at texas dot net