Re: Concorde's Engines

Date:         24 May 99 01:52:38
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 02:48 AM 5/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I don't regularly read this group, so sorry if this has been asked
>previously...
>
>Do the Concorde's Olympus engines use some form of afterburner while flying
>supersonic?  A friend of mine doesn't think so, but I don't see how that
>plane can fly at Mach 2 without reheat.

yes and no.   The afterburners or reheat as the Brit's call it is used to
get the aircraft off the runway, and to accellerate from high transonic to
about Mach 1.7. At that point the drag drops off, and acceleration from
mach 1.7 to cruise (about mach 2.05) is done with the afterburners off.  In
other words you can cruise with the burners off, but you cannot get to
cruise without them.

> I thought the F-22 was considered
>to be a great technological achievement because of its ability to fly beyond
>Mach 1 at military power (no afterburner).  It's hard to believe that a
>plane designed 20+ years prior to the F-22 already had that capability.

Actually some versions of the F14 with GE engines can do it as well, and
the Concorde design is a lot older than 20 years.

James Matthew Weber  1 602 315 6520   Fax 1 602 638 1316