Re: Whatever happened to Tupelov TU-144 SST "Charger"?

Date:         24 May 99 01:52:15
From:         "R W Walker" <bwalkerdiespamdie@odyssey.on.ca>

David Alan Coon <dcoon@olg.com> wrote in article <airliners.1999.499@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I have some questions about the Tupelov Tu-144 SST (Nato Designation as
> "Charger")--the Russian Concorde Is it true that the Brtish/French
> "stole" the Drop Nose design innovation idea from the Russians?

The Fairey FD2 used a droop nose long before either the Concorde or TU-144.
Late 1950s, I think.

I think the concept of Russians "stealing" Western designs is way
over-played. Its more a case of asking several different groups of
professionals with similar skills and available technologies similar
questions ("design me an airliner that does ..."), and getting similar
answers.

I've worked in light aircraft design for 25 years, and I'm always amazed at
the similar results different design groups arrive at without copying each
other. Did Piper copy the Mooney Model 20? Are twin Cessnas all developed
copies of the Piper Apache? No, they are just the same answers to the same
question.

BW