Re: Crosswind landings in 777

Date:         24 May 99 01:52:09
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

jsmeeker@NOSPAMPLEASE.airmail.net (Jeff Meeker) writes:

> On 19 Apr 99 02:22:08 , Ken Ishiguro <kenish@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >I am accustomed to the crabbing method being used on airliners.
> >However, I noticed that the 777's were using the sideslip method.  Why
> >is this method used on the 777's and no other types?  (All the 777's I
> >saw landing were UA- is it peculiar to UA training)?

> Hmmmmm...  Very surprising.  unless there is something diferent about
> the 777, I would think they would us the crab method as opposed to a
> side slip (wing low).

> The crab method is preferrable for an airliner becasue it is *much*
> more comfortable to the passengers.  Also, the wing low method could
> cuase problems with long wings and engines mounted on the wing (like
> the outboard engines on a 747)

My understanding is that side slip (wing low) was routinely used until
the advent of the 707, which brought the prospect of scraping an
engine if landed wing-low. Airline pilots needed careful retraining to
use sideslip. With modern twins like the 777, it might be that
wing-low could make a comeback.

In my previous job, part of my route to work went directly under an
approach path to DTW; it was fascinating to watch the airliners facing
one way, but traveling another. They definitely used sideslip.

--
-Stephen H. Westin