Re: Crosswind landings in 777

Date:         24 May 99 01:52:08
From:         av8rmike@aol.com (AV8RMike)

>From: Swee Mok
>I've only perform forward slips on a Cessna and I have never felt it on a
>large plane - it's suppose to really bother passengers on an airliner.

You're confusing a forward slip with a side slip.  A crosswind landing is a
side slip maneuver.  A forward slip is a much more aggressive maneuver.  It is
used on light airplanes to increase drag and increase sink rate without
changing configuration.

In a side slip the longitudinal axis of the airplane is aligned with the flight
path and, in the case of a crosswind landing, the runway centerline.  Very
mild, standard crosswind technique.

Mike
ATP, B727, DC9 and soon to be 757/767