Re: Are cargo planes generally old ?

Date:         12 May 99 02:48:58
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 10:10 PM 4/29/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I recently noticed on various trips that cargo planes seem to be generally
>very old.
>I've seen lots of 727, DC10-30, 747-100 and even DC-8/707, but hardly ever
>any new aircrafts.
>Shouldn't cargo airplanes have the same problems/calculations concerning
>fuel consumption, maintenance costs, etc. ?
>This observation might be wrong, but if not: is there any logical
>explanation ?

A surprisingly large component in the cost of most aircraft is capital
costs. While older aircraft  are more expensive to operate because of
fuel consumption, and maintenance, these costs are associated with
operating hours. Many cargo aircraft don't fly the hours of their
passenger counterparts, however the capital cost side is fixed, no
matter how much of how little you fly the aircraft, you have to pay off
the loans or make the lease payments. The result is the lower capital
cost of spending 25 million USD for a 747-100 can offset a lot of fuel
and maintenance costs against a 140 million USD 747-400F.  (115 Million
USD pays for a lot of fuel and maintenance)....

James Matthew Weber  1 602 315 6520   Fax 1 602 638 1316