Re: Books on airline disasters?

Date:         12 May 99 02:48:34
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>_Destination Disaster_ (1976) by Paul Eddy -- about the 1974 crash of
>a DC-10 in Paris when a cargo door blew out ...

Digging further into the DC-10's sordid history, there's The DC-10 Case:
A Study in Applied Ethics, Technology, and Society, edited by John H.
Fielder and Douglas Birsch.  It covers all three crashes in which the
design of the aircraft played a key role (1974 Paris, 1979 Chicago, and
1989 Sioux City) as well as both dress rehearsals for the 1974 crash and
various related issues.

If you can read French, I suspect Le Pilote est-il coupable? by Michel
Asseline would be fascinating.  Asseline was the captain of the A320
which crashed at Habsheim.  I have a copy of the book but, alas, can't
read it.  :-(

Macarthur Jobs' three books, as mentioned elsewhere, are excellent and
very readable, yet they go into great detail.

  - Andrew A. Rooney