Re: Drop tanks!

Date:         17 Jan 99 02:37:17
From:         "Si Zarco" <szarco@nofuckinspamglobalnet.co.uk>

Ted Perez wrote in message ...
>I keep reading about aircraft manufacturers struggling to extend
>the range of their aircraft, and i was just wondering why not use
>drop tanks?  After all, if the plane can ferry an engine under
>the wing (making the plane appear to have five!), then why not
>drop tanks?

Well, I would assume (from my chronically limited knowledge of
aeronautics/aerodynamics - that's why I came here) that to add a tank of
sufficient capacity to have any decent effect on the range of the aircraft
would increase drag to such an extent that it would counter fuel economy to
the extent that it's presence would become academic.

Not sure though.
--
Si
Deadline? What Deadline?