Re: 767 Landing Gear

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:28
From:         "Sunil Gupta" <SunilGupta@erols.com>

Robert Johnson <rwjohnson@earthlink.net> wrote in message <airliners.1999.396@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
>> I had posted this eariler but it seemed to have disapeered.  Anyway
>> I was wondering why the landing gear on the 767 is slanted forward and
>> not back like most other planes.

(Fact) This was done so that the trucks could fit into the belly.

(Speculation) The design of the wing on the 767 forced the designers to make
the main gear retract forward (relative to the long axis of the wing) and
in.  So if you take two pencils and use one as the strut and the other as
the truck and then simulate a retraction, you'll see that when the gear
retract forward and in, the truck will be lined up perfectly along the axis
of the aircraft.

Sunil