Re: Crosswind landings in 777

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:22
From:         "Damon Marcus Lewis" <nospamheredmlewis@mit.edu>

Ken Ishiguro wrote in message ...
>I am accustomed to the crabbing method being used on airliners.
>However, I noticed that the 777's were using the sideslip method.  Why
>is this method used on the 777's and no other types?  (All the 777's I
>saw landing were UA- is it peculiar to UA training)?

Another poster noted that the side slip is not done in most circumstances
with transport aircraft for fear of catching a wing. I recall hearing that
the 777 has a much higher dihedral so there is more clearance for the
massive engines. This would result in a higher clearance for the wingtips
also. So, since the tips are so high up, would that allow the 777 to use the
side slip method while other airliners cannot? (BTW, I'm no expert on this,
just a hypothesis.)

Damon Lewis