Re: Crosswind landings in 777

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:20
From:         jsmeeker@NOSPAMPLEASE.airmail.net (Jeff Meeker)

On 19 Apr 99 02:22:08 , Ken Ishiguro <kenish@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I am accustomed to the crabbing method being used on airliners.
>However, I noticed that the 777's were using the sideslip method.  Why
>is this method used on the 777's and no other types?  (All the 777's I
>saw landing were UA- is it peculiar to UA training)?

Hmmmmm...  Very surprising.  unless there is something diferent about
the 777, I would think they would us the crab method as opposed to a
side slip (wing low).

The crab method is preferrable for an airliner becasue it is *much*
more comfortable to the passengers.  Also, the wing low method could
cuase problems with long wings and engines mounted on the wing (like
the outboard engines on a 747)

Any 777 pilots care to comment??

Jeff