Re: Crosswind landings in 777

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:19
From:         "John Weiss" <jrweiss@seanet*NOSPAM*.com>

Ken Ishiguro <kenish@earthlink.net> wrote in message <airliners.1999.407@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
> I am accustomed to the crabbing method being used on airliners.
> However, I noticed that the 777's were using the sideslip method.  Why
> is this method used on the 777's and no other types?  (All the 777's I
> saw landing were UA- is it peculiar to UA training)?

The 747-400 (and, I assume, the 777) will land with a 5 degree sideslip when
doing an autoland approach, if the required crab angle is >10 degrees.  The
airplane can land with the crab angle or sideslip applied, or both.  When
manually flown, many 747 pilots prefer to use the crab, to reduce the
possibility of an engine pod strike (which can occur with 10 degrees of bank
angle on landing).
--
John R. Weiss
Seattle, WA