Re: Why no Tristars?

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:10
From:         kts@socrates.berkeley.edu (Katie Schwarz)

Stephen H. Westin <westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu> wrote:
>richard@wretched-z.demon.co.uk writes:
>
>> The question is: having travelled in the
>> US, Europe and Asia, I see plenty of DC10's and older 747's, but I
>> never see a Tristar these days.
>
>Last I knew, Delta was still flying them, but I think they are leaving
>soon.

You might enjoy the book _Frequent Flyer_ by Bob Reiss, a journalist
who spent many hours riding in the cockpit of a Delta TriStar and
interviewed hundreds of people involved with different aspects of
flight: pilots, air traffic controllers, dispatchers with their
weather maps, Lockheed designers (there's a chapter on the TriStar/
DC-10 development race), flight attendants, baggage handlers (in the
chapter on labor-management relations), Delta executives who bought
and financed the planes, mechanics doing various levels of overhaul,
ticket price analysts.  I thought it was a very good overview of the
airline industry for the general reader.

--
Katie Schwarz
"There's no need to look for a Chimera, or a cat with three legs."