Re: Why no Tristars?

Date:         29 Apr 99 22:10:09
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>majority of the airframes produced are still flying today, though many are
>as freighters.

I don't think many L-1011s are flying as freighters -- the DC-10 seems
to have done much better even in that regard, unfortunately.  (I much
prefer the L-1011 to the DC-10.)  The first freigher conversion other
than a few for the RAF sat unsold for quite some time.  Kalitta has a
few, the only other cargo L-1011s which come to mind.

>it had to be *shortened* to produce an extended
>range version (the L-1011 500) whereas the DC-10 was actually lengthened.

The DC-10-30/40 (long range versions) have the same fuselage as the
original, though I believe they have a slightly greater wing span.

As for the L-1011-500, I had always been under the impression that
lack of higher-thrust RB.211s was the problem, not anything inherent
in the L-1011's design.

  - Andrew A. Rooney