Re: Trailing edge wedge?

Date:         19 Apr 99 02:22:36
From:         Don Stauffer <stauffer@gte.net>

lou@cadence.com wrote:
> IIt seems surprising there are still relatively easy 7% improvements laying
> around.

I have a running argument with a former boss of mine.  Now, neither of
us are professional aerodynamicists, he is an EE, I a physicist, and we
specialize in avionics. So I suppose both of our opinions are worth as
much as we are paid for them  :-)  But we both study aero avocationally.

Anyway, he contends that almost all that can ever be known about airfoil
and wing design performance is already known, and that only the
onesy-twosey percent improvements can be hoped for now.  I maintain we
still, in this day and age of numerical models and supercomputers still
do not completely understand how to make air do exactly what we want it
todo.  There may be revolutionary designs that could give big jumps in
performance yet to be discovered.

--
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
stauffer@gte.net