Re: Largest piston engines

Date:         19 Apr 99 02:22:31
From:         "John Mackesy" <mack@melbpc.org.au>

Don Stauffer <stauffer@gte.net> wrote in message <airliners.1999.337@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
> I am working on a book on the internal combustion question, and wonder
> about two questions.
>
> 1) what was the largest piston engine ever used on an aircraft?
>
> 2) what is the largest aircraft piston engine still in production?

(1) Probably the P&W R4360 Wasp Major ("Corncob") used on B36, C124,
C/KC97/Stratocruiser. There was an amazing device known as the XR7750
(5,000+ HP!), but I don't think it ever flew.

(2) At a guess, I'd say the Russian/Polish version of the R1820 Cyclone.
There's a PZL Dromader aircraft (fire bomber) that flies by my place
occasionally - magnificent sound, esp. with a full load.

John Mackesy

(Mt Evelyn, Victoria, Australia)