Re: ID'ing aircraft [Re: AA 777-200IGW]

Date:         19 Apr 99 02:22:11
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

>The Il-96 is actually derived from the Il-86, which was developed in
>the early 1970s, around the same time as the A300.  It undoubtedly
>benefited from the A300, but the less-efficient Soviet engines and other

My understanding is that the Il-86's engine layout is a Boeing copy --
Boeing actually provided data on the use of podded engines in exchange
for details on working with titanium for the 747 landing gear.  Prior
Russian transports had rear or wing-root mounted engines.  (The Il-76
heavy transport also has podded engines -- I think that's the earliest
one that did.)

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724