Re: Why no Tristars?

Date:         19 Apr 99 02:22:06
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)
Followups:    1 2 3

richard@wretched-z.demon.co.uk writes:

> 	Sorry if this is an obvious question: I've checked the FAQ and
> it doesn't seem to be there.  The question is: having travelled in the
> US, Europe and Asia, I see plenty of DC10's and older 747's, but I
> never see a Tristar these days.  Why is that?  Did the marque fall
> from commercial favour or dod Lockheed withdraw support....or did they
> just _go_ somewhere?

Well, production ceased a long time ago: I believe long before the end
of the DC-10. Since there was no way to update a fleet with similar
airplanes, I think the L-1011 became the odd one out in various
fleets, so it was sold off faster than the DC-10 or 747. They are now
following the 707 and DC-8 (and now the 727) down the food chain, used
by charter operators and such. I don't think they're popular as
freighters, as are the 727, DC-10, and older 747, perhaps because
there just never were that many of them.

Last I knew, Delta was still flying them, but I think they are leaving
soon.

BTW: How can the Tristar be L-1011 if the old Constellation was
L-1049? Do Lockheed model numbers run in reverse?

--
-Stephen H. Westin