Re: Why no Tristars?

Date:         19 Apr 99 02:21:58
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 11:46 AM 4/6/99 +0000, you wrote:
>	Sorry if this is an obvious question: I've checked the FAQ and
>it doesn't seem to be there.  The question is: having travelled in the
>US, Europe and Asia, I see plenty of DC10's and older 747's, but I
>never see a Tristar these days.  Why is that?  Did the marque fall
>from commercial favour or dod Lockheed withdraw support....or did they
>just _go_ somewhere?

Some have been converted to freighters, but I suspect most have been
quietly junked. The problem is the tri-Star went out of production before
the D10 did (which was helped by KC10 tanker program), and there was a
follow on to the D10. That makes the L1011 an Orphan.

Most are least 20 years old now, and that makes them expensive and
difficult to maintain. A 767-300ER has range that is longer than an
L1011-500, comparable capacity and much lower operating costs. Very
bluntly, it ceased to be economically attractive to operate L1011's.

There was an upgrade program for -200's to give them a better engine, to
make them into -250's, but there were not a lot of takers.
James Matthew Weber  1 602 315 6520   Fax 1 602 638 1316