Re: Bygone era of information available to passengers...

Date:         30 Mar 99 01:53:53
From:         thompson@tgsoft.com (mark thompson)

> Just to throw in my 2 cents, I was once on a United flight heading west
> out of Denver when I wished I wasn't listening to the cockpit radio.
> There was moderate turbulence being reported over the Rockies, and my
> pilot apparently chose to fly much lower than normal to avoid it.  He
> was right, we did have a smnooth ride, but the radio traffic was
> disconcerting.  The controller kept telling him he neded to climb, and
> the pilot kept trying to stay low.  Eventually, the controller said
> something like "radar service terminated" as if to avoid liability for
> the impending crash.  I was a bit nervous, but the non-listening
> pasengers just enjoyed the smooth ride.

FWIW: Obviously, I haven't heard the rest of what you did, but "radar
service terminated" just means that the pilot is in an area where
there is no radar coverage, and will have to make position reports to
the controllers by radio, so that they will know where he is - more
trouble for all involved.
An airliner on a revenue flight would be kept well above the terrain
by the FAA. For every spot you could be, there are assorted minimum
altitudes that are allowed, all of which protect you from the ground.

-mark

--
-mark <thompson@tgsoft.com>