Re: 747-300 blended wing-body joint

Date:         13 Jan 99 02:13:50
From:         "Michael F. Lechnar" <michael.f.lechnar@boeing.com>

Sunil Gupta wrote:
> I noticed something interesting when I was doing some research for a 747
> model.  I found a picture of an Air India 747-300 with the leading edge wing
> to body joint blended as all 747-400's have.  After looking at some more
> photo's I've seen at least one ANA -300 with the blending, but all
> other -300's have the 'classic' style wing to body joint (of course this
> includes KLM's converted -200's)
>
> When did Boeing start making these changes on the 300's?

The 747-400-style wing/body fairing was made standard for all 747 models
from line number 704 in June, 1998 and on.  It is also available as a
modification kit.  To further complicate your life, you ought to know
that a small change to the dorsal (vertical) fin fairing was instituted
on 747-400s from December 93 and on.  There is a slightly differenct,
but noticable change where the vertical fin meets the top of the
fuselage.  Again, this is also available for retrofit.

Hope this helps

Mike Lechnar
Aircraft Performance Engineer
"If I was speaking for Boeing, I wouldn't be doing it here."