Re: Fuel Dump Question

Date:         30 Mar 99 01:53:33
From:         Seth Dillon <bdillon1@mindspring.com>

DOUG VIA wrote:
> Seth Dillon wrote:
> > I am not sure what your aviation background is but as one with over 20
> > years in the airplane fixing business I can assure you that fuel dumping
> > is a rare event.  Far more common is an overweight landing and the
> > subsequent inspections required.  Dumping is an expensive proposition
> > and is avoided if at all possible.
>
> what about the fuel jettison systems incorperated on many large aicraft
> that dump fuel prior to landing?  in order to land without being over
> the maximum landing weight, some aircraft jettison fuel overboard into
> the atmosphere that all of us humans and animals breath.
>    ASK MR. 20 YEAR AIRPLANE FIXER WHY HE CHOSE TO HIDE THAT IN HIS
>    LITTLE B.S. LINE ABOUT HOW IT IS SO AVOIDABLE.
> large aircraft jettison fuel everyday, many times!!!

Doug, Doug, Doug,
You are as ignorant about transport aircraft operations as you are
sarcastic.  I never said most large aircraft don't have fuel jettison
systems, I only stated that it is a rare event when they are used.  Fuel
is dumped ONLY IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY, and only if the gross
weight of the aircraft exceeds the max landing weight.  Even then,
usually an overweight landing is performed and the associated
inspections, which are detailed in the maintenance manual, performed.
In fact, the only reason I can see for dumping is to bring the gross
weight down to a level which would ensure a safe landing for the
available runway length, i.e. stopping in time.

Fuel is expensive, and it is heavy.  It costs money to carry extra
unneeded weight around.  A carrier does not load more fuel than the
flight plan requires, unless it is cheaper to tanker it than purchase it
locally.  They damn sure don't waste it pumping it out into the sky for
no good reason as you assert.

I do not know where you get your information from but the source is not
reliable.  I doubt you will believe me, frankly I don't really care.  I
think your an idiot.  I will not, however, let your lies go
unchallanged.

-Seth